On Tue 16 Jun 2009 13:51:12 NZST +1200, David Merriman wrote:

> Something which I have found useful in some cases is SpinRite (
> www.grc.com/spinrite.htm ), which can perform low-level analysis and
> recovery of hard drive sectors.  It's not free, but has been
> invaluable to me in the past (not recently, touch wood :)

If it's for recovery, go ahead and spend money (if you were foolish
enough to save on backups). If it's for analysis, why the hell would I
waste my money on something the disk maker owes me for nothing? Either
use the manufacturer's free tool, or run smartmontools.

Besides, if the disk does have bad sectors within warranty you shouldn't
have any problems getting it swapped.

I don't believe this thread goes on for that long. You buy a toaster
with 1y warranty and after 2 months half of it stops working. Is anyone
stupid enough to ask whether to return it?!??

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.