I'd worry about spending that much on a laptop that's had an issue already.

Try "mini PCIe SSD"

Here's one still for sale for $100.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=77&topicid=41073

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Hard-drives/Laptop/auction-267867445.htm
$100 and it didn't sell.

You could hack a USB pen drive internally, but they tend to be quite slow.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/04/the-20gb-eee-pc-mod/

Or you could buy something like this http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/32gbpatriotliteseriesasuseeepc.html http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/16gbsupertalentsataminipciexpresseees101.html $75 US

What about an SDHC card ?  They're cheap and easy to fit.