Craig Falconer wrote:
I'd worry about spending that much on a laptop that's had an issue already.
Well, it is a 128 GB SSD, rather than the usual 8 or 16 GB. Hence the higher price. But my recoil-limit is about $100.

Try "mini PCIe SSD"

Here's one still for sale for $100.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=77&topicid=41073

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Hard-drives/Laptop/auction-267867445.htm
$100 and it didn't sell.
I think this is the device that I am after, rather than a mini PCIe type. Have to find some internal photographs of the Acer Aspire.

You could hack a USB pen drive internally, but they tend to be quite slow.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/04/the-20gb-eee-pc-mod/
Yes, people have done something similar with the Acer Aspire One

Or you could buy something like this http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/32gbpatriotliteseriesasuseeepc.html http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/16gbsupertalentsataminipciexpresseees101.html $75 US
First one is discontinued. Second one is out of stock.

What about an SDHC card ?  They're cheap and easy to fit.
Two thoughts ocurred to me:

* use a 16 GB SD card in the /home SD card slot (the Acer Aspire has TWO card slots: one SD-only for /home, the other for your camera card. I don't know that it can boot off SD card though.

* use a tiny micro-SD to USB adapter, like this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25558 . It looks as though the micro SD card slips into the metal housing an acts as the little plastic support for the USB contact, leaving only a small lump outside the casing. Has the same speed issues as the internal USB suggestion, though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stephen Irons