On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 14:33 +0300, max podolian wrote:
> Thanks everyone for answers.
<snip>

> > I gave up on winmodems years ago, and use an old dynalink 56k
> external,
> > with a usb to serial connector set up as  /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> Did you have any problems with establishing connection using that
> modem? Any extra drivers? Because I'm thinking of buying usb-modem, if
> nothing will help.
I have never had a problem with this set up.
However, it is not a usb modem. It is a serial dynalink 56k connected
through a usb 2 serial cable.  This set up has worked with a several 56k
modems, including Diamond Dynalink, usrobetics, and so on.

The drivers are included in the kernel, however not all usb2serial
connectors seem to work.  The last one I purchased from Dick Smith was
not compatible with Ubuntu.  Trick is to take the laptop and modem with
you and test it before you buy.  Gnome ppp can detect the modem
as /dev/ttyUSB0 if the cable is compatible.

Cheers Chris T