I shut down the guest machine, and could then connect to the host, so that was some progress. Restarting the guest, I could not then connect to the guest except via the vmware console. Eventually after a series of turning off desktop sharing and turning back on, I can successfully connect to both simultaneously.

It also took a couple of rounds of applying the "uninvited connection" options before they were followed.

So: SOLVED though why I'm not sure, perhaps some issue with the service being announced by the guest. Which persisted across 2 or 3 reboots of both host and guest while I had been seeing the issue. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Roger