Greetings,
In my never ending quest to torture myself, I'm trudging onward in my
attempt to get the Mac Powerbook 3400c fully functional in the world of
Linux.  I've got Yellow Dog Linux installed, the onboard NIC is on the
network, X works, and i've even got the latest version of Mozilla
installed.  The only remaining piece of the puzzle is an old US Robotics
XJ5560 56K PCMCIA modem card.
Admittedly my experience with PCMCIA hardware is rather limited on a
SONY Vaio laptop, i've got a Linksys 10/100 PCMCIA NIC that just
'worked' as soon as I plugged it in.  So, i never had to even look at
the various config files in /etc/pcmcia, much less set them up.
I read the entire PCMCIA HOWTO, and followed the very limited
suggestions for Powerbooks.
So, i've downloaded & built the latest stable version of pcmcia-cs on
the Powerbook.  I have no trouble starting the pcmcia service (cardmgr
is running as a daemon), and in messages it logs that its monitoring
both PCMCIA slots on the powerbook.
When I insert the modem card into either slot, i hear this weird
alternating hi/low beeping, and then nothing.  If i look at messages, it
rambles quite a bit about how an "anonymous memory card was inserted",
and how memory-cs.o can't be found to be loaded.
According to the PCMCIA HOWTO, this tends to mean that the memory scan
failed, most likely because the specified memory range in config.opts is
incorrect.  Well, the range that i specified is the range explicitly
reccommended for Powerbooks, so i don't know what else to try.
Trolling through google (and Google groups) i've come up empty.  Quite a
few generic suggestions, but not much that is specific to PCMCIA modems
on powerbooks.
So, i've come up dry here, and i'd really like some suggestions.  This
laptop really won't do me much good if i can't get the modem working,
and its so kewl to screw with people's heads when they see me using a
Mac, and then can't figure out what the hell i did to Mac OS.  :)

=====