On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 04:33:15PM -0400, Harry G wrote:
>I am going to be setting up a new workstation, probably with Suse.  I
>have a little experience with ext 3 file system (OK so far) but are
>there any advantages of one over the other?  File integrity is the
>prime consideration, as apposed to speed.

I haven't much experience with extended file systems other than reiserfs,
just a bit with ext3 recently.  My experience with reiserfs has been bad on
my laptop running Caldera 3.1 Workstation.  At some point the file system
became corrupted, and the system would panic during the boot process.

I was able to boot using ``init=/bin/sh'', run reiserfsck (or whatever it's
called), and get the system bootable agail.  I immediately copied the
reiserfs to a spare partition of identical size, but as ext2 (we always
create a small ext2 /boot and two identical 2.5gb partitions for the OS and
a backup when originally installing the systems).  I added the new file
system to /boot/grub/menu.lst and edited its /etc/fstab file so that it was
available if necessary as a backup.  Shortly after doing this, the reiserfs
hosed itself again so I made the ext2 file system the default.

An interesting tidbit is that the ext2 file system appears to be less
efficient than reiser as there was less free space on the copied file
system than the reiserfs one.

Bill

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
complaining.
                -- Jef Raskin http://jefraskin.com/