The high toner cost of the Lexmark would be almost matched by any Lexmark,
Samsung, or HP because the imaging drum is built into the
cartridge.  Others have a separate drum that must be replaced at intervals,
and is even closer to the cost of a new printer than the Lexmark
cartridge.  Their toner cartridges tend to be cheaper than the ones with
the drum, but except for Okidata not as much less as one would hope.

At 09:29 PM 4/29/02 -0700, Marianne Taylor wrote:
>I am in the market for a low end laser printer.  I am not keen on the Lexmark
>E210 as the toner is almost as expensive as the printer.  I am looking at the
>Brother 1440, which isn't cheap, but it seems to run fine on linux.  I am
>running Linux from scratch so I don't want to use Samsung ml 1250, as it
>seems to only have rpms.
>Any other suggestions?
>Any experience with the brother HL1440?
>--
>Marianne Taylor

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library of Science Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Phone:  (816) 926-8748
         (800) 662-1545 x748