I am using gnuplot. I want to have bar graphs of data with a superimposed
Gaussian distribution, based on the usual mean and standard deviation
that the typical spreadsheet calculates from the data.  There is a
function called norm in the gnuplot program which sounds like this is
what I need. However, here is all the manual has to say:

  The norm function returns the normal distribution function (or Gaussian)
  of the real part of its argument.

and

  The functions in GNUPLOT are the same as the corresponding functions
  in the Unix math library, except that all functions accept integer,
  real, and complex arguments, unless otherwise noted.

I have looked for the unix math manual on line, and can't find one. Could someone
please explain how to use the norm function in unix, or better yet, in
gnuplot?

Thanks,
Joel