I may be uneducated, but I disagree.  /var is a good place to put the
packages, since they SHOULD be transient and removeable.  As for
~/download, can a normal user download and apply updates?  Not too likely.
 They're normally KDESU-ed or some equivalent which gives them root
access.  What would probably be a better choice would be another subsystem
of YOU which allows you to manage the downloaded packages/etc...  JMHO