On Tuesday 25 February 2003 21:12 pm, dep wrote:
> bruce and kurt -- thanks.
>
> i took a short cut that roberto alsina suggested, which was to goose
> up the option "resolution" line (which involved creating the line
> first) in XF86Config. it doesn't fix the gdm problem, but if i turned
> gdm off i wouldn't miss it, so that's not a huge concern, except that
> with the defaults it takes one complete revolution of the ball to
> move half a line, which isn't tremendously efficient and which is
> irritating to look at.
>
> what i can't figure out is why my serial trackball -- yup, an expert
> mouse which in my estimation is the absolute best, and i wish
> somebody made a keyboard of equivalent quality -- behaved so very
> differently from the ps2 version. the circuit boards seem different,
> too, and the ps2 one has a much thinner, non-detachable cable, unlike
> the serial version. also, the new one doesn't seem quite as smooth as
> the old one.

I assume you now have an Expert Mouse Pro....   What kernel are you
running?  I first installed a Pro on 2.4.18 and it was rather jerky and
I didn't like it at all... whereas an older EMouse worked just fine. So
I went back to the older Version 5.0

But just this afternoon I decided to give the Pro another try.  I'm also
now running 2.4.20  and the Pro is as smooth as the V5 was and I really
like it.  Wheel works well too but I'm not sure I'm going to get the
hang of using it.  I think there might have been some changes for the
wheel-mice in the later kernels.

Just my $.02