On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:10:57 -0500
Bruce Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 March 2003 18:54 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> > I've tinkered with Slack before; it may have been my first distro as
> > well (searches through the cobwebs; way back in the 386 days).  This
> > time I'll bug (not too hard, right?) enough people on the list to
> > get it working properly.
>
> Actually I remember that Slackware came up easily the first time I
> tried it back in 1994 or so... and I had two SCSI controllers in my
> machine and I remember having to give the boot process for the install
> the parameters for the 2nd controller.  But they had a good booklet
> that came with the distro that explained all that.  Seems pretty
> fantastic now what with all the problems people (and myself) can run
> into trying to do an install...
>
> Good luck!
>
> And as a PS... right after getting Slack installed I tried RH at
> around 4.3?  Had some problems and it took 6 weeks to get a response
> out of their support... by that time it was in the trash.  :-)
>
> Never have been able to have much success with RH since.

RH 4.3 is the only RH distro I've tried, and it worked reliably for me.
As was the case with any distro other than gentoo (debian doesn't count
because I never made the effort to understand the distro), I got tired
of searching for and retrofitting software (RPM hell, etc.).  It would
never occur to me to look for support with the vendor; that's what we're
all for!!!  Even Caldera in it's heyday wasn't very responsive with
support.

--
Collins