On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 09:23:03AM -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 06:57:17AM -0500, David A. Bandel wrote:
>
>> did I miss anything?

>Yes, you did. The IS professionals they are going to hire don't know squat
>about anything but windows. Thus, they will need to buy MS boxes with
>everything pretty much set up for them.

``IS Professionals''?  MCSEs (Must Call Somebody Else) are certified to
know what M$ products to sell, and rarely know how to really fix anything
beyond the ``Three Rs of Windows'', Reboot, Reboot, Reinstall.

This is the real problem in replacing M$ -- the huge economic sector that
depends on Windows instability and insecurity for their jobs.  We make it a
point to sell to the People Who Pay The Bills and the accountants in a
business since most of the IS guys know that it's their jobs that we want
to eliminate by installing Linux, Apple and FreeBSD systems.

>Besides, Homeland Security is about making America safer, which means
>protecting the American economy, which means MS$ Uber Alles.

You're close, but it's not the American economy they're protecting but
international finance, e.g. the Central Banks and the people behind them.
War is quite profitable to the people who finance the governments, not to
mention those who sell them weapons.

>And, if Homeland Security went with linux, every hacker in the Middle
>East would be trying to hack into their computers, and they would have
>the source code to help them. With windows, I suspect that only a handful
>of trusted friends (Russia, Israel, France, China, and a few others),
>have the windows source code. And, they likely don't want to advertise
>it and therefore won't bother hacking around with Homeland Security,
>which isn't directed against them, anyway.

This sounds like typical Microsoft FUD against open source, and the
``security through obscurity'' argument.

Bill

``Intellectually, teachers fall between education theorists and bright
cocker spaniels. (Probably closer to the education theorists. The AKC has
been doing wonders with spaniels.) If you think I'm kidding look at the
GREs for education majors, whose scores are the lowest of all fields, and
remember that these are the smart ones.'' -- http://www.FredOnEverything.net