On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:37:45AM -0500, Shawn L Johnston wrote:
>Nope, need to learn UnixWare and dump linux. er or not. ;)

UnixWare?  No way!

>I wouldn't be suprised to see SuSE follow pretty soon as well, it
>doesn't seem like there is money in selling retail boxes.

Selling retail boxes isn't going to make money, but not selling them loses
mind share.  New users are much more likely to use the distributions they
can get at their local CompUSA than something they have to special order.

FWIW, I've noticed that our local CompUSA stores have been moving a lot of
SuSE 8.x retail boxes.  We buy all our SuSE Linux from CompUSA at retail
which costs us about the same as buying through wholesale distributors by
the time you add shipping.  Another factor is that we have a ton of paid-
for Linux box sets sitting here that became obsolete before we sold them.
It also may provide some incentive for CompUSA to keep it in stock.

Bill

When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him what he asks
for, instead of what he needs.  This is very strong medicine, and is
normally only required once.
    -- The Consultant's Curse: