Collins Richey schrieb:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:34:38 +0200
Klaus-Peter Schrage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Collins Richey wrote:

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:59:41 -0600
Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:16:18 -0500
Michael Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Collins Richey wrote:

Is there any way to cause the mount not to prompt for a passwd? Hint, I have no defined users and do not log in to the WinXP box.

If you put the appropriate line in /etc/fstab with password=,user=
then you can just do 'mount /mnt/samba'. (Or it may have to be
user=guest).

Thanks. It works with user=guest.

OK, now to dig a little deeper. The set of directories (it varies) that I'm wanting to access "appear" to have no common high level directory(they are anchored on the WinXP desktop), so I need to do a separate mount for each. Short of putting a big list in fstab, is there any way to get a given directory mounted for general use upon demand, either by command or by root command and make the permissions such that normal users can manipulate it?

Have you tried out smbclient which allows you to browse a samba share without mounting it:
smbclient //name_of _computer/directory_name ?

Even more comfortable, in kde konqueror you can browse by entering the

address
smb://name_of _computer/directory_name
(the same works in gnome nautilus, as far as I know).

Excellent suggestion.  Since I'm totally a novice with smb stuff, I
wasn't aware of smbclient.  That's a good workaround.

As to konqueror, browsing works after replying to about 10 dialog boxes,
since it doesn't aprove of user=quest without a password. Not
especially user friendly <grin>.

To avoid any messing with passwords, why don't you simply mark all those directories on the XP computer that you want to see from your Linux machine as "shares", i. e. in win explorer, right click at the resp. directories, go to "shares and security" or so (sorry, I only have the German menus) and make them shares?
Klaus