On Sat, Aug 16, 2003, Alma J Wetzker wrote:
>>There are solutions in most cases, but most users are so locked into the
>>M$ mentality that they won't even make the effort.
>
>I agree with the sentiment but the reality is much harsher.  Most linux
>apps just aren't up to their windoze counterparts.  This is especially
>true for personal productivity apps.  The server stuff is much closer.

Linux is great for the server applications, and I have been using *ix
desktop applications for years (but how many people actually prefer vi and
groff to word processors :-).  We're installing quite a few Apple systems
running OS X for desktop applications, and it's hard to beat the eMac for
cost-effective workstations.  I'm going to find it hard to resist buying
one of the new dual processor G5s when panther is released.

>The cogent argument for change doesn't address busines use.  There is
>LOTS of custom code running in busines.  The life span of that code is
>15 - 20 years.  Converting to C/Java/Perl/Python/??? is a huge
>undertaking and has no busines payoff.  It also halts improvements for a
>year or two.  No busines on the planet can afford that in todays market.
> And heaven help the companies that have gone to outsourcing, they have
>effectively zero say in infrastructure decisions.

Most of the custom applications were originally written for *ix platforms
before Microsoft bought several of the major players in Unix accounting
software and killed the Unix versions (e.g.  RealWorld).

Bill

Democracy, n.:
        A government of the masses.  Authority derived through mass
meeting or any other form of direct expression.  Results in mobocracy.
Attitude toward property is communistic... negating property rights.
Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate,
whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion,
prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.
Result is demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
                -- U. S. Army Training Manual No. 2000-25 (1928-1932),
                   since withdrawn.