They haven't drawn the conclusion that the initial outage was caused by it, but there
are reports (computerworld I believe) that MSBlast was responsible for clogging the
network pipe between power stations used to avoid the cascading effect.  The
cascade-avoidance system simply couldn't do it's job...

I agree that it probably STARTED there as well...

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:10:28 -0400
dep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> quoth Michael Hipp:
> | http://apnews.excite.com/article/20030916/D7TJP93G0.html
> |
> | By TED BRIDIS
> |
> | WASHINGTON (AP) - Security researchers on Tuesday detected hackers
> | distributing software to break into computers using flaws announced
> | last week in some versions of Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s Windows
> | operating system.
>
> i still highly suspect that the august 14 blackout here (and in much of
> the country east of the mississippi and north of the south) is due to
> somebody cracking a windows box someplace.
> --
> dep
>
> Dotcoms were based on the mathematical idea that if you multiply zero by
> a sufficiently large number, you've got something. -- Douglas Adams

Matthew Carpenter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.eisgr.com/

Enterprise Information Systems
* Network Server Appliances
* Network Consulting, Integration & Support
* Web Integration and E-Business