On 18 Sep 2003 at 17:38, Collins Richey boldly uttered:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:59:46 -0400
> dep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > quoth Philip J. Koenig:
> > | On 18 Sep 2003 at 10:56, Collins Richey boldly uttered:
> > |
> > | The US government has already been detaining people simply because
> > | they are of "middle eastern descent".
>
> Except for the Oklahoma City incident, I can't think of a single terrorist
> activity in the past 10 years that was not perpetrated by young Arab/Moslem
> males.

I guess that's what you get for getting your "terrorism news" from
the mainstream US press. (or just not paying attention)

Let me give you a few hints:

- Northern Ireland (various parties, various incidents)
- UTA/Basque separatists (various incidents)
- Chechnya (various incidents)
- Columbian drug cartels, FARC, ELN, etc. (various incidents)
- Hebron massacre of muslims by US citizen and right-wing extremist
  Baruch Goldstein, 1994
- Tokyo poison gas attack by Japanese cult Aum Shinri-Kyu, 1995
- Tupac Amaru kidnapping of diplomats in Peru, 1996

That should get you started.  There are many more on the list.

>  If the US government is detaining non-citizens of "middle eastern
> descent," that is unfortunate but maybe necessary.  The bastards who
> created 9/11 were certainly of "middle eastern descent,"

Easy and common trap you fall into there.  What bonds the Al Qaeda
operatives together is primarily their radical Islamist beliefs, not
their ethnic heritage.  The single individual in US custody who is
believed to have been slated to join the 9/11 hijackers is actually a
French national of Moroccan (North African) descent.  Richard Reid,
the infamous "shoe bomber", is a UK national, has an English mother
and Jamaican father, and was born in England.  I trust you know about
the "American Taliban" kid too.

> and I would think that even you would wish that they had been detained!

You have no idea what I wish, and neither are my views so easy to
characterize.  First of all, I don't believe in people being
imprisoned simply because of their ethnic heritage.  It is against
almost every founding principle of the USA, for starters.  If someone
has some evidence of criminal activity, that's quite another thing
altogether.

> If the US government is detaining US citizens, that is another matter
> entirely.

That they are should be patently obvious by now, to anyone but Rip
Van Winkle.

> Even in that case, if these people have proven associations with
> terrorist organizations, I have no problem with that.

That is the problem -- people have been rounded up simply because of
their ethnic background or country of origin.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium