On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 04:33, Squabsy wrote:

> Having spent the weekend playing around with it  and using TOP to see
> what's going on I have come to the conclusion that all the Linux
> softwares I have been trying are indeed storing the file up in RAM then
> in my swap partition then hanging when it gets full.
> The Windows software I use on the other hand (CDWAVE) writes the file
> straight to disk with no temporary files.

Bummer. This is what I feared.

> I have 256k ram and a swap partition of 512mb I can't seem to be able to
> (nor do I think it's a particularly good idea) increase the size of my
> swap partition.
>
> Is the only way I can have more success then increase the RAM ? or is
> there a Linux program that writes straight to disk ?
> Even if I click the straight to disk option in audacity it still fills my
> ram/swap partition

Some (most?) Linux applications will grab and hold large amounts of
memory, whether or mot they are actually using it (watch Mozilla, or
worse yet, Star Office launch some time). In this case, however, it
certainly sounds like the system is running out of memory and swap, then
hanging. This makes sense given the size of the files you are working
with.
You can resize your swap file (See the Step at
http://sxs.sourceforge.net/sxs/index2.html). But no-one likes to work
with files that size out of swap. It takes forever while your hard disk
is thrashing itself silly. If it were me, I'd opt for more physical RAM
- it's fairly inexpensive at the moment.

I believe you are in the UK? Where? I lived there for four years, from
93-97.

--
burns