Squabsy wrote:
Having spent the weekend playing around with it  and using TOP to see
what's going on I have come to the conclusion that all the Linux
softwares I have been trying are indeed storing the file up in RAM then
in my swap partition then hanging when it gets full.
The Windows software I use on the other hand (CDWAVE) writes the file
straight to disk with no temporary files.

I have 256k ram and a swap partition of 512mb I can't seem to be able to
(nor do I think it's a particularly good idea) increase the size of my
swap partition.

Is the only way I can have more success then increase the RAM ? or is
there a Linux program that writes straight to disk ?
Even if I click the straight to disk option in audacity it still fills my
ram/swap partition

What version of Audacity are you using?

Last night at church, as a trial run, I recorded our entire service (16-bit stereo 44100 Hz). The resulting aup files came to 733.5MB for about 1 hour 12 minutes of audio. The exported WAV is 716.6MB.

I'm using Audacity 1.2.0-pre1. I tried the stable binaries but never could get them to run on any of my Red Hat 9 boxes after a few hours burnt attempting (in futility) to resolve dependency problems. Anyway, I downloaded and compiled the Audacity and wxWindows sources and it runs great, tho some features don't yet work.

I have 256M in this PII-233 box. While the recording was taking place, memory usage stayed at 250M with a small slice of swap being used. It never increased. (I'm running this in the latest version of apt-get kde-redhat, oink, oink). Audacity says it's storing its temporary files in /tmp/audacity1.2-username per File -> Preferences -> Directories. And it can presumably be changed to anyplace you have sufficient space. On the screen it was telling me that I had up to something like 4.5 hours of recording time available which works out to about the amount of disk space available in the / partition (2.5GB) per the above file sizes.

I too would prefer some lean-and-mean app that would just record the audio straight to disk as a WAV and then later pull it into something sophisticated like Audacity for manipulation. I'm still looking, but Audacity actually seems to work pretty well.

Hope this helps,
Michael Hipp