Michael Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:49:16 -0500
Squabsy wrote:
I still don't understand why any of the above limits would create a
problem when I'm trying to record a wav file that would be 500k at most.

I would propose a test: - Create or find a test file of about 1M bytes - Do this over and and over ...

'cat 1mfile >> bigfile.wav'

and see if the problem can be reproduced as that file grows (and outside of sound card and recording software issues).

Be sure to do it in the same user account, directory and partition as the recording.

I have updated to a newer Kernal but it doesn't seem to have made any
differance.

How would I go about increasing the file size limit ?
Why does it need so much space to create a wav in linux.

The wav file takes the same amount of space on Linux as it would on any other O/S - it's a relatively simple calculation of bits x channels x rate x time = file size.

This will eventually turn out to be something simple (they always do) and you'll feel good for the experience of having persisted thru it ;-)

I propose yet another test. Use knoppix and try recording again. I am not ready to retire my col or SuSE systems but I kinda like the way knoppix works.

-- Alma