Hi Squabsy-
I also use SuSE 8.2pro and Knoppix 3.1/3.2
I would say that Knoppix is a great boot-distro and possibly something to
install as a secondary distro on your hard drive, but I'm not sure I would
replace SuSE with it.  I like the way SuSE has packaged so much software and
basically made it work together.  While I've never been a big fan of Yast, I
think that it's package-conflict/dependency resolution is very good.
Furthermore, it was meant to be a full-time distro...  Unfortunately I can't
say what it is that SuSE has over Knoppix, except that SuSE feels more
powerful and is supported on all the servers I use so Desktop experience
transfers well.  Also, while Knoppix has GREAT hw-autoconfig capabilities, I
don't believe they support quite as much as SuSE or have permanent tools to
configure them?  (like my Video-In stuff?)
APT-GET works with both deb and rpm packages, although if Knoppix can use
the Debian software-stores perhaps it's a better bet?  not sure.

Let us know what you decide.  If you install Knoppix, try it on a different
partition and compare them side-by-side.  I'd like to hear how they stack up
against each other.

Also, if you like Knoppix, check out http://www.knoppix-std.org
It is a Security-focused distro which has stripped out the office
functionality of Knoppix 3.2 and replaced it with every security/hacking
tool known to Linux.

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Squabsy wrote:
>

>>I am currently using SuSE 8.2 personal and apart from the now well
>>documented problem I am havving recording Wavs I am getting on reasonably
>>ok with it.
>>I have read a lot  of favourable press recently about knoppix and
>>wondered if anyone would care to comment on the realative
>>advantages/disadvantages of Suse Vs Knoppix

Knoppix is a great recovery system and a good linux demo. It can easily
be installed to your hard drive. The hardware detection is very good.
It's on one cd. It has access to debian archives, which contain huge
amounts of software.