On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:42:11 -0400 (EDT)
Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Gotta ask. What is so stupid about what I consider the best
> > packaging/updating scheme out there. (sorry, haven't tried gentoo) You
> > can keep debian updated using only a couple of commands once in a while.
> > (apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade)
>
> Not if you want to compile from source.  I want what I install to be
> optomized for my hardware & environment.  I've yet to find any easy way of
> doing that in Debian.
>
> > I hear a lot about debian zealotry. Guess I don't see that, but am
> > certainly open to an explanation...
>
> Calling it 'Gnu/Linux' for starters.  Some rather ridiculous requirements
> about GPL licensing.

Here's a typical example.  I read a glowing review of Knoppix and it's offerings
on pick-a-site (I can't remember).  There were several dozen comments from
various people with positive comments.  About third in a row was a typical
Debian zealot griping - "How dare Knoppix call itself a Debian distro when
Knoppix packages some closed software packages with its distro!"

I don't usually reply to these things, but I felt much better after registering
for the service and letting the Debian guy know where he could stuff his
opinion.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the