No, it's most likely because the link is "created" during a "post-install" script, not
listed in the "official file list" which RPM uses to populate its database.

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:02:52 -0400
Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quoth Michael Hipp:
> > Kurt Wall wrote:
> > >I'm betting that a %post-install script creates a symlink. Perhaps
> > >a command like "rpm -q --scripts pkg.name.rpm" (if memory serves)
> > >will tell you what you want to know? You're looking for a command
> > >that creates a symlink. It's been awhile since I was intimate with
> > >RPM, but symlinks created by a post-install script aren't considered
> > >(or weren't at one time) as part of the RPM, although a properly-crafted
> > >remove script (executed when you "rpm -e pkg.name.rpm") will remove
> > >symlinks created when the RPM was installed.
> >
> > That's it. It is a symlink (no doubt created by a script as you said).
> > Still seems like an erroneous result to say it belongs to no package
> > when in fact it certainly does. Being able to figure out who/what
> > installed a particular file is a basic package management feature, IMHO.
>
> Perhaps. RPM's notion of a file list does not include symlinks created
> outside that list. This constitutes a design flaw, perhaps, but there
> might be reasons for this decision to which I'm not privy. In any
> event, I'm glad we worked out the problem.
>
> Kurt
> --
> Today is the first day of the rest of your lossage.

Matthew Carpenter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.eisgr.com/

Enterprise Information Systems
* Network Server Appliances
* Network Consulting, Integration & Support
* Web Integration and E-Business