On Thursday 13 November 2003 02:27 pm, Condon Thomas A KPWA wrote:
> > How do the existing distros compare regarding upgrades of
> >
> > 1. the core system?
> > 2. applications external to the core system?
>
> SuSE has an online update utility (through YAST) that will check for
> updates to any program you have installed and download and include them.
> It does dependency checking, so if something major has changed you get
> everything needed to make the system work.  I've used it regularly with no
> problems. OK, that isn't *quite* true.  I didn't use it at first, then
> there was too large a list to do all at once so I had to manually select
> those I wanted from the list it provided and do the updates in three
> pieces.  Other than that it is quite painless and hasn't ever caused me any
> problems (nothing broke).  Works for both core and applications (if SuSE
> updates the package it gets an update for the online update).
>

> In Harmony's Way and In A Chord,
>
> Tom  ;-})

To clarify:  I'm wondering how the distributions compare as to upgrading from
one release to the next, rather than updates to the current release.

We've had one person state that SUSE's upgrade process hasn't worked well,
historically.  How about Mandrake and Slackware?  RedHat's is a moot point;
but what are Fedora's plans?

I think Gentoo and Debian can upgrade themselves without release cd's; but how
much breakage occurs in the process?

Except for Dep's articles on upgrading SUSE, which were enough to keep me from
trying (Thank you, Dep.), this isn't an issue that has gotten much press.

Andrew Gould