On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:09:45PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> To clarify:  I'm wondering how the distributions compare as to upgrading from
> one release to the next, rather than updates to the current release.
>
> We've had one person state that SUSE's upgrade process hasn't worked well,
> historically.  How about Mandrake and Slackware?  RedHat's is a moot point;
> but what are Fedora's plans?
>
> I think Gentoo and Debian can upgrade themselves without release cd's; but how
> much breakage occurs in the process?
>
> Except for Dep's articles on upgrading SUSE, which were enough to keep me from
> trying (Thank you, Dep.), this isn't an issue that has gotten much press.
>
> Andrew Gould

I used a package called 'swaret' to upgrade from Slackware 9.0 => 9.1 and it
went very smoothly. It's not an 'official' slackware package but it *is*
avaliable in the Extras directory. Also, there is 'slapt-get' and 'emerde'
out there; I haven't used either one but have heard Good Things(tm) about
slapt-get. YMMV

HTH & HAND

Myles

--
Myles Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Calgary, AB, Canada eh?
Slackware-9.1 + CLI + Mutt-1.4.1i + Lynx|Links|eLinks