Net Llama wrote:

> --- "David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mike Andrew wrote:
> > >
> > > Kernel -> Freeze Recovery (Bandel / Meissner)
> > >
> > > PS DAVID, doesn't ^^^this^^^^ also have to be compiled as magic
> > sysrq in the
> > > kernel???
> > >

> > Yes.  However, up until now (and unfortunately I can't seem to locate
> > my
> > WHATSIN file for W3.1), Caldera has done this by default.  I _know_ if
> > you're running a Caldera supplied kernel from eDesktop 2.4 you have
> > this
> > enabled (although for eDesktop 2.4, you have to also enable it in
> > /proc).  With a 2.4 kernel, you don't have this worry.
>
> Which worry?  You still need to select it as an option when building a
> 2.4.x kernel.

yes, but it is enabled by default when you boot that kernel.  In 2.2.x
you needed to specifically `echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq`.  This step
is no longer necessary in a 2.4.x kernel.  In fact, if you _don't_ want
this little jewel (so your overly curious, underly intelligent lusers
aren't using it to shut down fast when happy hour arrives) you must
`echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq` to turn it off.

Hope this cleared up the confusion.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto