On Sunday 09 September 2001 03:08 am, you wrote:
> I'm currently taking a course which involves some Java programming and, as
> such, I am looking for an IDE which I can use.  I took a look at the Java
> section of the SxS and found that it focused on VMs as opposed to IDEs.
> VisualAge for Java is listed but it doesn't appear to be what I'm looking
> for.... sounds more that a VB equiv in Java than anything.  KDevelop and
> the Kompany's KDE Studio don't support Java so they aren't really options.
>
> I gave Borland's JBuilder 5 Personal a whirl but found it was slow as
> molasses and there were also problems with window sizing, something that
> made the application unusable.
>
> Has anyone got any recommendations on an IDE?  For the most part I prefer
> to use IDEs when coding... but should I fail to find anything using an
> editor window and a konsole or two should do the trick.
>
> David Aikema

David

  I know what you mean. there is code guide but it is several hundred
dollars. other thanthat there doe not seem to be anything out there. I just
started using kwrite and a kconsole. Java is so un freindly and you have to
do all work by hand anyway. If you do find a IDE, it hides the stuff you need
to see from you and you do not get much from it.. If you use windows there is
Textpad 32 which allows you to do it in a multi window and the compile and
run java. They are just now thinking of doing it in linux. Text editor &
konsole is my recommendation for learning Java.

cheers
--
Rick Sivernell
Dallas, Texas  75287