" > > Something funky about these rtl8139 cards and this particular

I'm running some of these.  I had some of the half-duplex trouble a
while ago but they all run fine  now.  They're on monolithic kernels
and they're autodetected fine, no need to pass any append=
parameters... Memory fades, but afair, the 8139too drivers were buggy
quite a ways through the 2.4.x series, at one point the -ac series
seemed the better choice and did affect this issue.  Also air, kernel
config has an option to enable support for 'older' 8139's (I didn't)
and the boot messages on mine say something to the effect of '8139b'
(note the 'b') detected.  Dunno if any of this matters, but fwiw...