Thanks for the replies.  I have tried to provide additional info below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anita Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: sxs.lists.linux-users
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: Win95 replacement

> You might try running the cdrom as a rescue disk to see what is
happening.
> I know you can do that with the RH disk.  Boot it and then do 'linux
rescue'
> That will start linux in ram.  Then do
> 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' and write down what that looks like.

I don't understand how I can use a linux disk as a rescue disk for
windows.

> If you are booting with LILO you can do:
>
> mount -t ext2 /dev/hdax /mnt (where the x is the partition number for
/)
> less /mnt/etc/lilo.conf (see what it has for the / partition)

I haven't been able to get linux on the system yet so I can't use lilo.

> The kernel is loading, but it is not finding the / partition.  I don't
know
> why that is.  How are you trying to boot?  What do you think your /
> partition is?  Tell us what you find with the fdisk command above and
in
> your lilo.conf, if you are using LILO.

I have tried to boot from the cdrom, but the system ignores it even
after adjusting the bios.  So I have to reboot into dos and use the
autoboot.bat file from the /dosutils folder on the cdrom.  Caldera
allows installation from within windows, which I have used before with
no problem.  I have also tried creating a boot disk using the tools
provided on the installation disk (mandrake).  Regardless of the
installation method, I get the same error.