[ snips ]

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:06:27 -0500
"Douglas J. Hunley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Forwarded from a newsgroup, but I'd like to know what you all
> think.. I've copied the author. Please continue to copy on
> replies...
>
> ,--------------- Forwarded message (begin)
>
>  Subject: Which One?
>  From: Kurtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:44:35 -0500
>
>  I am a SysAdmin, but mainly management, and in an NT/Exchange
>  environment. I will never get good at Linux as a result of hands
>  on, day to day work.  I have experience only with RedHat but have
>  not used the GUI except for when I have to, as I want to learn the
>  command-line.
>  I sense that to learn what it is all about, I need to practice a
>  lot, compiling and recompiling kernels (I don't know anything about
>  programming beyond the Hello World stuff; basic shell scripts) and
>  figuring out how to download/install different applications.  I'd
>  like to learn VI, Emacs etc., as well.  In order to be innovative
>  and try to introduce some features that Linux offers in my work
>  environment, I'd like to be able to use the NSA secure kernel.
>
>  RH basically sets itself up, which is good.  But having described
>  what I want to do I'd like to solicit feedback on which variety of
>  Linux I should try, and maybe specific "projects" that I could work
>  on to get a good, well-rounded view of Linux.  I could use either
>  an old laptop, or P-133 in the corner from work.  Thanks in advance
>  for any ideas.

Just a few ideas Kurtis:

* I'm sure Doug has already let the cat out of the bag:  Join our user
group (goto http://linux.nf) and make use of the Step by Step site.
IT'S A LIFETIME LEARNING LAB.

* A P-133 or an old laptop is going to be S-L-O-W going.  I've gotten
a lot of mileage out of my K6/II300 (originally 64Meg, now 196Meg),
but that's as slow as I'd care to go.

* I've tried many distros over the past three years, and each has its
advotees (on this group as well), but my favorite is the one I
currently use (http:www.gentoo.org) - gentoo.  You might not like it
too well on a P-133, because all the packages are downloaded on the
fly and compiled from source.  Some of the gui products like KDE and
GNOME take upwards of 24 hours to compile on my machine.  There is
excellent documentation for installing the basic system, but you are
your own sysadmin after that.  It's a marvelous learning opportunity.

* There's certinly nothing wrong with RedHat.  You could stick with
that and learn about compiling your own kernels, for example.  If you
have sufficient disk space, you could learn about setting up a
multi-boot machine; that has the double advantage of learning and
providing you with a playground to experiment.

* If you want a simple gui environment to play with, try xfce which I
use.

Stick around, peruse the archives, and ask questions.

Years ago you would get a lot of flak from the group if you asked the
sort of newbie questions that I did, but the group has mellowed with
time.

--
Collins Richey
Denver Area - 12DEC2001 - WWTLRD?