Greetings,

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Lee wrote:

> Jay Nugent wrote:
>
> > Greetings,

> > > That's one thing about us rude colonials we still use the mother country's
> > > measuring system so we don't have to remember all those complicated  math
> > > formulas.
> >
> >    Too bad we blew it back in the late 70's, early 80's when we were
> > *supposed* to move over to the metric system.  Base-10 is FAR better a
> > measurement scale than Base-the-kings-feet and other arbitrary scales.
>
> Metric is just as arbitrary as a king's foot being 12 inches long rather than 10 and
> 36 inches from tip of his nose to finger tips. In the universe there's nothing more
> arbitrary than the circumference of the Earth or boiling and freezing point of  pure
> water at one standard Earth atmosphere.

   Yeah, but how do you start from scratch unless you happen to have the
king's body laying around somewhere.  At least with a *water* standard,
your referance is available in abundance on the vast majority of the
planet.  There was only ONE king and he's pretty rotted away by now so we
can't really be sure that our measurement system is even in calibration
anymore... ;-)   We can recalibrate against a water standard at anytime.

      --- Jay

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)
| Jay Nugent   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    (734)971-1076    (734)971-4529/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |