On 22 Jan 2002, at 10:49, Bruce Marshall boldly uttered:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 10:44 am, Lee wrote:
> > Bruce Marshall wrote:

> > > Sure you got the Java version?   (there's also a non-Java version of the
> > > catalog)
> >
> > Yeah. JavaWeb. Had to enable Java Script on my browser, normally run
> > with it shutdown.
>
> Looks like 4.77 is a keeper.   Anything newer make it fail.

Netscape 4.x has its own Java JVM, and you rarely see problems
executing various Java apps on the web with it.  MS also has their
own JVM (Microsoft Virtual Machine), and even though it isn't updated
much any more (and doesn't ship with XP) it generally works, because
it's so common.

On the other hand - Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape 6 do not ship with
their own JVM, they use the Java Plugin and JRE (Java Runtime
Environment) from Sun.  It has been my experience that many applets
don't run in this environment, because AFAIK you have to code
specifically for it, there are a number of differences between the
Sun Plugin and the older dedicated JVMs which were more common in the
past.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium