[ snips ]

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:36:45 -0500
John Voigt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At this point, I am considering switching distros, and am considering
> both SuSE and Mandrake (I still can't bring myself to use RedHat...yet)
> and possibly others. I need to  consider both workstation and server
> application for both home and business use, although there probably
> isn't one distro which is equally adept for all applications, I'm
> interested to hear anyone's opinions on the options.

long term, gentoo is the answer

> My main criteria are:
>
> - stability/security

getting there; will be more so when 1.0 is released.

> - A distro with some continuity/upgradability/sense of direction.
> Wipe-clean/install-new gets to be a PITA very quickly, particularly with
> multiple installations in different locations, location-specific
> configurations, etc...

yes

> - reasonable price without unreasonable license restrictions. I don't
> necessarily mind paying for specific commercial apps, but If I want
> per-seat licensing, I can use Windoze and make management reasonably
> happy.

The price is right - a total of zip per seat.

> - Not bleeding edge, but reasonably current

Always.  You can stay either way and  change that at any time

> - other criteria which I haven't thought of yet ;-)

I used gentoo for a year or more - quite stable.  gentoo has ported the
FreeBSD way of installing maintenance (ports) to the linux arena.  The
gentoo portage system makes available all reasonable current versions of
software packages via on-the-fly download from any available repository.
The only drawback at present is that this is install from source.  As
gentoo matures, they will offer pre-compiled binaries as well.

You can certainly do desktop and server support from the gentoo base.

Or, you can make the plunge and checkout the "real thing" - see my
signature below <grin>  FreeBSD offers all of what you are looking for,
but the drawback is that they don't support every imaginable peripheral
yet.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - FreeBSD 4.4 + xfce + sylpheed