begin  David A. Bandel's  quote:

| And my experience lately has been:
| SuSE == RH (European style) == totally borken.
| Mandrake on the other hand (8.1) has been nearly flawless.  The 8.2
| Beta is even better.

well, suse-7.3 is a pita in a lot of ways, some of them
kernel-related, i think. 7.2, though, is as solid a non-caldera
distribution as i've seen.

we're hitting right now, seems to me, a considerable hump. the kernel
has been a mess for more than a year, distros have elevated
incompatibility to an art form, and big projects are infused with
lots of people going off and doing as they damn well please rather
than doing the stuff that needs to be done. it's going to be a real
test, to see if we're going to need companies to step in and do the
grunt work. at the moment, i wonder if in a couple years we won't all
be using not just gnome but ximian gnome.
--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;