On Wednesday 06 February 2002 02:07 pm, Zoran wrote:
> *** No, but this depends entirely of what your goal in life is. If it is
> a filled up bank account than yes you are right.
>
> There are people, however, for whom crispy bills are not the main driving
> force. Furthermore you seem to forget Linux is what it is because not
> everybody has dollar signs in his eyes.
>
> The people who feel like making proprietary apps. can go ahead, but I do
> not think you should blame the community for having strong principals. We
> need the free code fana's as the counter weight to the "greedy" guy's...

I hope Linux evolves into a healthy mix of free and not-free. But it helps
not at all to characterize anyone who has chosen software as their career
(and therefore *must* be paid for it) as greedy.

Don't forget that alot of those that are doing it for free are able to do
so because they are on someone's payroll (Caldera, Suse, etc.) that pays
them to write "free" software.

Asking to get paid is no more a sign of greed than doing it for free is
a sign of altruism. They each scratch a different itch.

Best regards,
Michael