----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Nugent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: NO $#@&^*% MAIL!

[snip]

>    Glenn (et al),
>
>    The Internet was clearly the ruination of Packet Radio.

[snip]

> I was proud to have donated my time having produced the
> schematics for the TNC-1 (which Heathkit later copied and used in
their
> HD-4040 TNC kit, with some minor changes) and also helped with PCB
design
> issues.

The packet radio community owes you and many other selfless hams a great
debt of gratitude for pioneering the development of the TNC to its
present state.

[snip]

> TPRS (Texas
> Packet Radio Society) produced their TexNet boards.  Truely the BEST
> designed routing hub I had ever seen for packet radio networking.

Amen to that.  For a few years, west Texas and southeastern New Mexico
had a really good network, with an interface to the TexNet.

Unfortunately, there was a class of packeteers that drove packet right
into the ground, with hourly broadcasts of *tons* of ALLNM, ALLTX,
ALLUSA and WW bulletins, the content of which impressed me about as much
as some of Rush Limbaugh's monologues, (and sounded strangely similar,
to me).  This is the kind of traffic that killed the
keyboard-to-keyboard facet of this hobby, IMNSHO.  I mean, 'Pardon me,
sir or ma'am, as the case may be, but you obviously mistook me for
someone who gives a sh*t.'  Did anyone actually read all that crap?

[snip]

> Sure it was nice knowing you could send data over the
> air, but it was tedious, slow, and often very congested.  As more Hams
> found the Internet they abandoned their packet Radio stations and many
of
> the community-wide networks fell apart.

Yeah, and APRS pretty well put the finishing touches on the eradication
of packet radio as we knew it.  I had an APRS station for a while.  It
was an exhilarating activity, in the same category as watching paint
dry. ;o(

> Even my home Packet station hasn't been on the air in years.  There
just
> isn't a decent network any longer and there's certainly nothing out
there
> of interest (to me, anyway) anymore... :-(

Sadly, I must agree with just everything you've said.  Keeping a station
on the air today is little more than an exercise in futility (or the
epitome of hope.) <VBG>

But my F6FBB BBS station has been on the air here in ABQ for the 19
months I have lived here, and my JNOS BBS was active from 1990 until I
moved here from Roswell.  Work is now in progress to add a node in the
east mountains, which will (hopefully) re-establish the path to
southeastern New Mexico and west Texas.

I preferred the JNOS (TCP/IP) BBS system, but the JNOS support mail list
has apparently evaporated or gone underground.  (If anyone knows where
the list has moved, please let me know, off-list.)

>    So Glenn, though I expect Packet Radio did fair better in Oz, it
didn't
> do so well in most places.  I'm sure it will never be a replacement
for
> the Internet should MS/TCP come to pass ;-)   Nice thought, though...
>
>       --- Jay Nugent
>           WB8TKL

He speaketh the truth.  <sigh>  I can't remember who asked the question
that started this thread, but I guess the *real* answer is, "Maybe - if
you are prepared for a lot of work, (and all of it uphill)."  And that's
probably not even realistic.

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn Williams - [EMAIL PROTECTED]