Oh boy. It sounds like they are going for nifty features in place of
what most users really want, no hassles and standardization. It is to be
hoped that they will supply a patch for 5.x that  will allow opening and
saving of documents in the new format. After all, 5.x is very nice, and
maybe a lot of users feel no great need to upgrade.

Joel