OK,

Followed Doug's SxS step and produced in about an hour or less, a fully
functioning sendmail.  All but the tweaking...which has turned out to
be far less satisfying.

>From mail clients on other hosts on my home network, email composed in
say
netscape goes out with the From values set (in netscape) staying as is,
and all seems to be working OK.

Whenever I send mail from the sendmail machine, which is behind a
firewall w/ port forwarding, the address is always [EMAIL PROTECTED]
which only exists in my little network...although I have the marchak.ca
domain hosted outside, the only official/external NS records are
www.marchak.ca and marchak.ca.

So, domain masquerading sounded like what I was looking for.  I have a
domain through dyndns.org, which I put in /etc/mail/local-host-names and
I can accept mail for marchak.homeip.net...cool.  What I wanted to do
was have mail sent from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which is what it would be
when I am logged in locally to the box with sendmail running) to be
changed to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a imaps server running and I want to have all my mail bounced to
sent to marchak.homeip.net so I can do away with outside web mail and
just run my services myself...so I have no mailbox size limits except
the ones I put on myself...and because I can.

But no matter what combination of DM / CM / CG (shooting wildly at then
end) I cannot prevent it from mailing out [EMAIL PROTECTED] when I
send from the sendmail box.  Which of course bounces as domain doesn't
exist.

Can someone more sage in sendmail shed some light on my dim little
picnic?
--
Linux SxS [http://sxs.homeip.net/]