I've put a pfsense install on an alix box - some [0]nice gear from the
nice people at nicegear.co.nz - to replace an ipcop 1.4 box that was
approaching 10 years old.  On the LAN I have a Lucid LTS box running
OpenVPN, previously I had UDP/1194 open on the IPCop box and on the DSL
router, and could connect nicely.

I'm not clear how (or if) I can do similar port forwarding on pfsense,
seems to insist on on being the OpenVPN server itself if I choose 1194,
therefore use it's certificate manager etc, effectively leading to
abandoning a perfectly good OpenVPN service.

Do others have an internal OpenVPN server working OK through pfsense?
Is the right approach to use a different port inside the DSL router, for
example, forward UDP/1194 from the internet to UDP/1195 on the pfsense
WAN address, have a pfsense WAN rule for UDP/1195 and NAT port forward
to the OpenVPN server's IP address, and have the server listen on 1195?
This is what I am trying without success so perhaps I am overlooking
something further or this is a bad approach, any feedback to resolve
this would be appreciated.  Clients attempting to connect give this in
their log indicating the firewall blocking:

Mon Dec 12 11:49:38 2011 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur
within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Mon Dec 12 11:49:38 2011 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Regards
Roger

[0]https://nicegear.co.nz/single-board-computers/pc-engines-alix-2d3/