On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 14:55 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Fri 30 May 2014 13:44:26 NZST +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
>
> > Because my workstation is exactly that, and is built with a close
> > approximation of the same packages to the servers I manage.
>
> OK. Other ways to achieve that, this is one.
>
> > Sure it's
> > got a GUI - the standard CentOS GUI - but it also runs the same versions
> > of MySQL, nginx, PHP, Redis... as the servers I support.
>
> The software in question required gtk3, ao I assume it's a desktop
> application. How does installing a gtk3 library(!) on your desktop, for
> the exclusive use of one desktop application, affect your mysql, php,
> nginx, etc.? So far, your no-gtk3-on-my-desktop rule seems arbitrary and
> nonsensical, so I'm interesting in your resoning (which so far I fail to
> follow).
>
> > IMO bleeding edge has no place in the production environment.
>
> That may be so, but your desktop is not a production environment. If you
> need a proper staging server, install one. Virtualbox is good. Running a
> stripped-down server as your desktop will give you headaches, as you're
> noticing.
>
> Volker

My desktop is *MY* window to my and my clients production environments.
As such I treat it with the same level of care as the production servers
themselves. Anything that could possibly compromise that ( like
installing software from non-mainstream repos ) is an unacceptable risk.

This workstation may be limited when it comes to ( for example
multimedia ) functionality, but it does absolutely everything I require
to function as a business, well and fast. And I have a radio.

I run proper KVM if I want virtualisation ( and yes, I happily use them
in production as well as development ), on multiple local and remote
servers... none of Larry's software here thankyou very much ( and before
you ask, I use Percona MySQL ).

I have stated the reasons why I consider adding bleeding edge software
to that to be a bad idea. Unlike you, this is my business, so my
assessment of the risks involved will necessarily be different... all
risks are subjective, so your and my view will always differ.

One thing that a career in the IT industry has taught me is that if
someone requires the latest and greatest version of something ( or if
the documentation is complete crap ), then treat it as alpha software at
best until proved otherwise.

If I can find a time management solution that I consider safe, and even
better if I can just bung it on one of my servers and have it
automagically incorporated into my backup systems, then for me that's
the best solution.

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP