Nick,
I think you are right.. A monthly meeting in a "some hall" is hard to justify...

However.

Some skills, such as coming up with command lines to do nice things, are learnt by osmosis. not all of us are fortunate to work in linux programming places where such things are common.

while true; do ps -eLF | grep process | grep -v grep ; sleep 1; clear ; done

find . -type f -exec grep some_string {} 2>/dev/null \;

For those who struggle along doing linux as an evening activity, some encouragement is in order.

Thus, I kinda like the idea of a pub meet. Evenings. For me, not Wednesday or Sunday.....

Cheers,
 Derek.