Do let me (us?) know if anything exotic turns up, as the hardware is needed to create drivers, which in turn could possibly end up in the linux kernal!

Cheers,

Peter

On 17/08/2015 11:55, Chris Hellyar wrote:

Hi Peter,

They are fine for legacy machines, but I've got a lot of spare junk and I want the space back. :-)

I go through a cylic thing where I collect parts from upgrades/repairs for customers and think 'that'll come in handy' and then after a few months realise I've collected a pile of junk that I drop off at Molten Media.. I thought I'd offer the drives up for free here first as I know there are some tinkerers on the list...

I'll go through em tonight and reply with a list of the sizes.. There were some 40's and at least one 80 in there, and I think a 100 but I wasn't paying that much attention to be honest... If it wasn't 400G+ it went on the 'out' pile...

Cheers, Chris H.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Peter Simmonds" <peter.a.simmo...@gmail.com>

Hi Chris & Others,

I think these may be useful when formatted with FAT32 and maybe on a
USB2 to PATA adapter. I have tried on many occasions to get various
livecd distributions to work on various hard drives. They always seem to
require FAT32, and frequently fail due to some other factor (I'm
guessing the USB-PATA bridge). Perhaps the lower CHS count on these
drives may improve compatibility? Have seen W98SE2 running on an 80Gb
drive myself. I also suspect there is some extension to FAT32 used by
default at least in windoze that would seem to create incompatibilities
with creating bootable live CD distros.

Hopefully someone else on the mailing list will be able to give better
advice...

In any case, I could do with a few of these myself, to upgrade some
legacy systems.

Cheers,

Peter