Hi Volker and others,

Great advice thanks. Though in the early stages of the battle, feeling confident now.

Cooments on your post follow;

On 15/12/2016 8:23 a.m., Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
On Wed 14 Dec 2016 22:29:36 NZDT +1300, Peter Simmonds wrote:

Trademe
Green Party "Greenweek"
VM ware symposium or whatever
AA deals that don't actually work...

Neither one of these ba$t@rds give any option (that work) of opting
out of this spam!
That's the perfect reason why you need a gazillion email addresses. Or
at least one for each half dozen max online shops, and anpther one for
each bigger thing. Basically, you want to be in a position to
change/delete any address at any time without loosing anything you care
about. I'm routinely getting spammed suddenly twice a week after years
of silence because I ordered a PC part there once. When I tell them to
stop it (no need to be friendly) the sh*ts tell me about their new
website 2 years later... and take that as an opportunity to start it up
again... Secret email address for online banking is the number 1
phishing protection (unless you're clueless on Microsoft or Android and
get your address book swiped all the time).

Have been clued ever since I had an email address: linux_m...@inet.co.nz. About 200 emails a day. Same with linux_m...@clear.net and eventually linux_m...@inet.co.nz. I was only a stupid teenager at the time, and kept an utterly ludicrous email for that long.

Then it was more convenient to use institutional internet access with various webmail providers such as go.com and yahoo.com. That was when the spam quantity dropped from about 200 to 20 per day, so there was obviously some new impediment to unsolicited email.

You have one gmail for absolutely everything? Why not let google track
you every single email of the way and allow everone else to link you
into everything you do...?
Yes I do, and have had very little trouble with spam from gmail. They even advertise the fact that they are antispam. The cr@p that I do recieve is usually targetted spam from companies I deal with such as trademe. What happens is that when you enter the same catchy search you did on ebay on trademe, they spam you weekly with items matching this search! What a bunch of misopportunist morons!

Thunderbird has native (no plugin) filter tools that allow you to match
emails and take certain actions. I advise you to never delete, but move
into a separate folder. You will get your filters wrong... And some
actions plain don't work, like forward with attachments included if you
set download-attachment-on-demand. Been buggy for 7 years.

The downside of getting too carried away with TB filtering is that you
then become dependent on TB. You can still only access your email from
one client place. That's why I prefer to do my filtering with procmail,
which is far more elaborate and capable than any mail client, and then I
can choose which MUA I want to use and not create a dependency. All MUAs
suck so flexibility trumps. procmail has been stable for 20+ years, or
try maildrop. Do save a copy of all incoming email into a folder named
year-month, even when you think you have your filters right, you'd be
surprised what use you find for it, but you can't do that with TB.
Portable thunderbird solves this problem quite nicely! Along with other portableapps it makes commandeering a new computer whether a work computer or some piece of junk off the street, you can very quickly become productive with it as long as the usb ports are active. The true beauty of this platform, is that, all of them seem to be fully compatible with linux and WINE to the point that it is actually more reliable running w32 apps on linux simply because they are more stable than the native linux applications of the same type!

Other methods include phoning AA 0800, explaining why you've had enough,
threatening a few complaints to xyz and making it crystal clear that you
do not ever wish to get spammed again. Or collect evidence and make a
formal complaint to the watchdog if you can be bothered. In my
experience only talking to them fixes it. I used to tell them yearly I
don't want their newsshit, they got it, and with every membership
renewal it was back to newsshit. That's a deliberate system design!!
With NZ businesses I adopted a policy of emailing them friendly once,
and afterwards letting rip in a rude way with whatever means available -
I've damn well had enough. They do tend to get the point after that. If
I give them a bad day then they should have put the legally required
procedures into place earlier. No sympathies.

Surely the Greens have a no-spam party policy? Faceplanting that they
don't follow it themselves might get some interesting entertainment...
I sent an email back to Metur?? Turie?? with a cold, concise message asking to be removed from the list. No spam yet though it's only one day. Good thing about MP's is they tend to read their emails! Remaining issue is that when you are calling anyone at least you will probably get different people each time; So the person you were nice to will probably continue to be nice, and the one you were angry with will continue to be angry back. At least with email you can continue to contact the same person and hopefully get them to understand the point!

HTH,

Volker

Cheers again , I have taken all of your advice onboard, and will continue to fire some very precisely targeted and prefabricated sh!t right back at them. Mileage will vary, but it is of course very worthwhile in preparing an intelligent response to the problem!

Cheers,
Peter