Hi all, monthly notice, November 1.

Tomorrow night is the GNU/Linux Users' workshop: 7.30pm-9.30pm in the South Learning Centre (SLC), through rear door of South Christchurch Library at 66 Colombo Street, Cashmere - https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/locations/SOUTH/ - held on the first Wednesday monthly, Feb-Dec.

LiveDVD/thumbdrive installs of freenix* distributions are used to demonstrate alternative desktop environments in the SLC computer lab of i5 all-in-one PC screens. Ubuntu-MATE is the Debian GNU/Linux variant we most display and Long Term Support releases like 16.04 are recommended; the 17.04 upgrade to 17.10 had a stalling glitch which is now corrected and both run very well. See http://debian.org background and http://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ for these distros and http://distrowatch.com for many others to choose from. Portable devices welcome, e.g. laptops, Raspberry Pi and CHIP :P

BYO distributions and new tech; overhead projector - let us know if you have a presentation to offer.

Thank you for the support of this workshop and the Software Freedom Day annual installfest event.

Kind regards,

Rik Tindall

pp Sydenham GNU/Linux Users
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/gnuz
Software Freedom Day, Team Christchurch South, 15-September-2018
http://www.facebook.com/TeamChristchurchSFD
* Freenix: Unix-derived Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) esp. Linux & BSD