Kaixo!

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 02:47:48PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> > Usability is provided by GUI selection tools, not by softening syntax
> > specs. The case sensitivity makes a lot of sense as ISO's language and

>       setenv LANG de_DE.iso-8859-1@euro
>       setenv LANG DE_de.ISO-8859-1@euro
>       setenv LANG de_DE.Iso-8859-1@EURO
>
> Do you think an average user can guess which one of these he has to
> type?  No GUI available!

To use the command line you must be able to read a doc and to copy correctly
what it said; you are also supposed to know the command line is case
sensitive.

> The underscore is sufficient to separate the language and region.
> Upper/lower case doesn't really help me anyway, it's only an extra thing
> to know.

But it's also the way things are done sice ever (or at least as long as
I can look at); why to break it and introduce compatibility problems ?

> If we can agree on case insensitivity, then case differences are not
> aliases.  You can type them any way you like and they would still be the
> same locale.

Note that case insensitivity is locale dependent; by introducing case
insensitivity you may have some very strange behaviours, like
the locale being recognized when you first define it (as you were on another
locale previously), then after the change is done you start getting errors
(as the new locale defines new case insensitivity rules and the string that
previously was considered the same is not anylonger the same).

Also, remmeber the filesystem is still case sensitive; which means that
if you introduce case insensitivness for locales naming in variables, you
need to change the sources of the libc or other sensitive libraries in
order to have the files where locale data is stored found even if what the
user request is a different name than the one of the actual directories...

The supposed benefits are too small compared to the troubles.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/            PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975