Hi All,

I'm getting closer... closer to the motherload, to hitting paydirt.
I've been trying to follow your discussion on the gr(polytonic) key
map, but I need some more background...

I could set my key map to gr(polytonic) as you suggested in your mail,
using the 'setxkbmap' as you described, but the keyboard did nothing
useful. Maybe the configuration files are obsolete.

I am using SuSE 9.2 and Gnome.

My .profile:

export LANG=el_GR.UTF-8
setxkbmap "us,el" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

I need to use the polytonic Greek characters. I am translating a
Lexicon of Ancient Greek Verb:

http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/sarris/

Do I even need a special map for polytonic Greek (e.g. "gr") i.e. Can
I get to the poly Greek characters through the mono Greek map?

What is a <Multi_key>?

Maybe I could use it on the mono Greek keymap.

That would be the best for me, because I do not like changing keymaps.
I can't tell you the number of times I forgotten to switch between
Greek and English, only to find I've been typing an English text in
Greek!

The same thing is even more likely between Greek and Greek.

In the meantime, I'm going to write a little script in perl which will
read my html and substitute my own "key codes" to the poly greek
unicode. For example, I can capture the Greek vowels like this:

)/α would be a greek alpha with psili and oxia,
~ω would be a greek omega with perispomeni

I can copy/paste the unicode characters from the .Compose file
(attached) into my perl script.

This would esentially move the system-layer, xkb keycode mapping
process to the application domain, which I can manage.

Still, the keymap configuration should be as simple as Perl, no?

But where do I get started?

Joe
http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/

PS
What is a tiny elvis?

He's a wee-tiny Elvis that can live on your dashboard. Sometimes his
fully grown body guards will let him steer the car. "Hey, tiny Elvis,
would you buy me a Cadillac?"

This is from my system:

/usr/lib/X11/locale/el_GR.UTF-8/Compose

# Part 2
#
# Greek Extended multi-key and dead key definitions. These have been
# machine-generated by a perl script, found at:
#       http://hal.csd.auth.gr/~vvas/i18n/xkb/polytonic-compose.pl

<Multi_key> <greater> <Greek_alpha>                     : "ἀ"  U1f00
<dead_horn> <Greek_alpha>                               : "ἀ"  U1f00
<Multi_key> <less> <Greek_alpha>                        : "ἁ"  U1f01
<dead_ogonek> <Greek_alpha>                             : "ἁ"  U1f01
<Multi_key> <greater> <grave> <Greek_alpha>             : "ἂ"  U1f02
<Multi_key> <grave> <greater> <Greek_alpha>             : "ἂ"  U1f02
<dead_horn> <dead_grave> <Greek_alpha>                  : "ἂ"  U1f02
<dead_grave> <dead_horn> <Greek_alpha>                  : "ἂ"  U1f02
<Multi_key> <less> <grave> <Greek_alpha>                : "ἃ"  U1f03
<Multi_key> <grave> <less> <Greek_alpha>                : "ἃ"  U1f03
<dead_ogonek> <dead_grave> <Greek_alpha>                : "ἃ"  U1f03
<dead_grave> <dead_ogonek> <Greek_alpha>                : "ἃ"  U1f03
<Multi_key> <greater> <apostrophe> <Greek_alpha>        : "ἄ"  U1f04
<dead_iota> <dead_ogonek> <dead_acute> <Greek_alpha>    : "ᾅ"  U1f85
<dead_iota> <dead_acute> <dead_ogonek> <Greek_alpha>    : "ᾅ"  U1f85
<dead_ogonek> <dead_iota> <dead_acute> <Greek_alpha>    : "ᾅ"  U1f85
<dead_ogonek> <dead_acute> <dead_iota> <Greek_alpha>    : "ᾅ"  U1f85
<dead_acute> <dead_iota> <dead_ogonek> <Greek_alpha>    : "ᾅ"  U1f85
<dead_acute> <dead_ogonek> <dead_iota> <Greek_alpha>    : "ᾅ"  U1f85
<dead_iota> <dead_horn> <dead_tilde> <Greek_alpha>      : "ᾆ"  U1f86
<dead_iota> <dead_tilde> <dead_horn> <Greek_alpha>      : "ᾆ"  U1f86
<dead_horn> <dead_iota> <dead_tilde> <Greek_alpha>      : "ᾆ"  U1f86

It looks like all the characters are there, only how do I get them?

What are these symbols, <Multi_key>, <greater>, <apostrophe>,
<Greek_alpha>, etc. and how are they mapped to real keys?

Anybody care to discuss how xkb works?

Anybody care to describe the multitude of configuration files used by
the locale/Xkb system?

It looks like all these X/locale configuration files are text files.
They all seem to work together.

Where do I get started?

Unicode Fonts

I'd like to correct something I wrote earlier. Microsoft TNR does
*NOT* support the polytonic Greek characters. I only thought so
because 1) the SuSE Free Serif does, and 2) the gnome "Character
Table" application does a clever font substitution even when I select
M-TNR as the font.

Too clever for its own good.

Font substitution good in a browser, but it is a very bad idea in a
system utility like this "Character Table" (sorry I have a Greek
desktop, and I don't know what you call it in English). If the
characters are not present in the font being considered, then there I
want to know about it!

In fact Mozilla and Firefox work quite well, even on Windows, but IE
6.0 does nothing at all! In fact, the only poly Greek font on my Xp
system is the "arial unicode ms" which, 1) is sans serif and 2) is a
pig (22M byte), even though there are other fonts on the Xp which call
themselves "unicode". IE doesn not use it though, not even for font
substitution.

Which brings up the question:

The font is a set of glyphs and has nothing to do whatsoever with the
character set, so why are we calling them "unicode" fonts anyway?

I assume a font can work with any character set, ISO-8859-7, Unicode,
WinGreek, "My First Character set", "Foobar"... any.

Any font designers out there?

There needs to be a map between the character set and the glyph-set
(the font) which I always assumed was in the font itself, because only
the font know which glyphs it has implemented.