Simos Xenitellis wrote:
O/H Jan Willem Stumpel έγραψε:

This also means that when you run scim, the ogonek and horn
do not work as breathing signs even if the locale is
el_GR.UTF-8, because scim's internal copy of the Compose file
is only the "common" one.

In addition, when you try to type Greek Polytonic in
OpenOffice.org, it will not work. The reason is that the
default Input Method, GTK+ IM does not know yet about these
dead keys and does not pass them on. Therefore, when selecting
Greek Polytonic in the X Input Method (XIM), for example, using
System/Preferences/Keyboard or adding the Keyboard Indicator
applet, all in GNOME (such as Ubuntu), you have to do first

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim then run OpenOffice.org

The situation is very complicated, because there are many factors
which can influence the result.

Yes, it is best to set GTK_IM_MODULE=xim (in Debian, you put this in /etc/environment). Then you can enter polytonic Greek everywhere (using the xkb facilities) *if* the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr has been hacked, *and* the locale is any type of UTF-8 (with the possible exception of el_GR.UTF-8), *and* the application has access to a proper font.

As far as I could find out, with GTK_IM_MODULE=xim,
xkb-type polytonic Greek works (i.e. you can enter ᾆ) in just about all situations; I tested all 12 combinations of 1-3 and A-D below:

1. No input method framework present
2. uim present
3. scim present

A. text mode programs in xterm
B. mozilla, bluefish
C. openoffice
D. QT programs

With scim, at first I thought that there were program types in
which xkb polytonic Greek did not work. But this is (fortunately) not the case. With scim, you must just take care that the keyboard is set separately to "English/European" (i.e. direct input, through xkb) for each application.

Some uim and scim docs recommend using GTK_IM_MODULE=uim or
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim. It seems this is not necessary; GTK_IM_MODULE=xim works in all circumstances.

But with the original /etc/x11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr, with or without el_GR.UTF-8 locale, polytonic Greek does not work with scim. I now think the keyboard action is as follows:

without uim or scim:

keyboard --> xkb --> xlib Compose --> application

with uim:

keyboard --> xkb --> xlib Compose --> uim --> application

and with scim:

keyboard --> xkb --> scim΄s own Compose --> scim --> application

Regards, Jan