As part of my research program into high-speed XML/Unicode/text
processing using SIMD techniques, I have experimented extensively
with the UTF-8 to UTF-16 conversion problem.    I've generally been
comparing performance of my software with that of iconv under
Linux and Mac OS X.    Are there any substantially faster implementations
available?   Currently our u8u16-0.9 software runs about 3X to 25X faster
than iconv depending on platform and data characteristics.

u8u16-0.9  is available as open source software under an OSL 3.0 license
at http://u8u16.costar.sfu.ca/

--
Robert D. Cameron, Ph.D.
Professor of Computing Science