On 04/14/2015 08:06 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 07:56 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

Well, the question isn't really that offloading, the question is what
happens with the hw-scan logic in hwsim? Though I guess now that I think
about it, that wouldn't show up in userspace at all with your changes.

I think for HW scan and related matters, you treat user-space like a firmware
target, so you send it a message, and then get some response or action, similar
to how you would request ath10k or some USB dongle NIC to do things for you.

That's not really how it works today, but it's one possible (probably
the only possible) approach.

My own interest in hwsim user-space is to make it act more like ath9k
than a firmware target driver, but I don't think my changes preclude doing
target based emulation in the future.

True, although I'd like to see the multi-channel issue addressed better.

I need a hint or two on what exactly you want changed in my patch to
address your request, or maybe you or someone else can just address
the issue in follow-on patches?

Thanks,
Ben

--